History of monument: Lope de Vega theatre
The Teatro Lope de Vega in Seville, is located in Avenida de Maria Luisa (next to the Parque de Maria Luisa), its construction dates from 1929 and its architect was Vicente Traver and Tomás, and it was, with the Casino, the Pavilion of the City of Seville for the Ibero-American Exposition held in that year.
Its architecture is Baroque, the building remains faithful to this style in the building and in its ornamentation. Scenic box, seats, stalls, stages, amphitheater and paradise, give a spectacular beauty to the theater, which has a capacity of one thousand one hundred people.
In the 1980s it became the Municipal Theater. In 1986, it was restored by Victor Pérez Escolano.
It has been used as a representation place for all types of performances (theater, dance, opera, jazz, flamenco ...) and today, we can see with its program of national and international scene that it remains one of the most important theaters in Spain, and it is winning year after year, quality and variety.
The Lope de Vega was inaugurated on Glorys Saturday in 1926 with the work of Gregorio Martinez Sierra “The blind heart”. Its design was resolved by the traditional typology with the possibility of hosting 1,100 spectators in their seats, stalls and stages, in three floors. Traver used elements of Baroque architecture, not only in the application of ornamental forms, but also in the actual implementation of the monument.
In September 1985, with an agreement between Central Administration and the Local Administration, a rehabilitation of the building was done. Two years later, the theater reopened its doors completely renovated, incorporating the latest technologies on scenic. At present, it has a seating capacity of 715 locations.